Saturday, April 27, 2013

F is for Fidgets

I have kids that can't sit still during read aloud time.   They insist on doing somersaults across the room, jumping on the couch, touching each other and being distracted in general.  I know that some kids are just wired this way and can still absorb information.  I'm okay with that.  I am the one with a problem focusing when they are doing all these things while I try to read.  My solution has become fidgets.  My kids are now better able to sit in one location and still be "busy" while I read.  I check for listening and comprehension often through narration and questions so I know that they aren't distracted.

Here are a few of the items that we keep in our fidget basket.



Relaxing items--scalp massager, body brush(leftover from brush therapy), bendy wire and who can resist Troll hair!




Zoomorph connecting animals




Zome Tools


Squishy Toys--we love the mice in the cheese!


Keeping hands busy with Unifix cubes, tangle toy, marbles, magic worm, hacky sack, wire puzzle


Etch a Sketch, Mars Mud and Thinking Putty





No comments:

Post a Comment